V Dept Questions & Answers - How do I change the name of a documented vessel? http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/vqa.php en-US http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss How do I change the name of a documented vessel? <p><strong>Question:</strong> I have recently purchased a boat that I have changed the name that was on the stern with another of my own. How can I register the new name with the Coast Guard?</p> <p class="MsoNormal"><em><strong>Answer:</strong> If your vessel is documented with the Coast Guard, you can contact the<a href="http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/default.asp" target="_blank"> National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC)</a> to change the name.</em></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><em>The name and/or hailing port may be changed by filing an application for change on <a href="http://uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/forms/cg1258.pdf" target="_blank">form CG-1258</a> (<span>PDF</span> document) with the appropriate fees. If your vessel is subject to a mortgage of record, you must obtain permission from the mortgagee on <a href="http://uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/forms/cg4593.pdf" target="_blank">form CG-4593</a>. (<span>PDF</span> document)</em></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><em> For more information, visit the <a href="http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#16" target="_blank">NVDC's Frequently Asked Questions section</a>.</em></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><em>Also, you can contact the <a href="http://1.usa.gov/r6I41e" target="_blank">state agency in your state that handles boat registration</a> to see if they have any requirements in changing your boat's name.</em></p> <p><em> </em></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><em><strong>Please note:</strong> To view and print <span>PDF</span> documents, you must use the <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/" target="_blank">Adobe Reader software</a>, which is available for download without charge.</em></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><em><br /></em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/vqa.php/2013/01/01/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-a-documented-vessel">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/vqa.php/2013/01/01/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-a-documented-vessel