V Dept Questions & Answers - How do I change the name of a documented vessel? http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/vqa.php?tempskin=_atom b2evolution 2018-02-20T19:44:00Z How do I change the name of a documented vessel? Louis Dellis http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/vqa.php/2013/01/01/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-a-documented-vessel 2013-01-01T03:19:06Z 2013-01-01T04:25:20Z Question: I have recently purchased a boat that I have changed the name that was on the stern with another of my own. How can I register the new name with the Coast Guard?

Answer: If your vessel is documented with the Coast Guard, you can contact the National Vessel Documentation Center (NVDC) to change the name.

The name and/or hailing port may be changed by filing an application for change on form CG-1258 (PDF document) with the appropriate fees. If your vessel is subject to a mortgage of record, you must obtain permission from the mortgagee on form CG-4593. (PDF document)

For more information, visit the NVDC's Frequently Asked Questions section.

Also, you can contact the state agency in your state that handles boat registration to see if they have any requirements in changing your boat's name.

Please note: To view and print PDF documents, you must use the Adobe Reader software, which is available for download without charge.