VDept Members Questions & Answers http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php en-US http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss Do standup paddleboards qualify for a Vessel Safety Check (VSC)? And if so, what about thru a rental agency? <p><span style="font-size: small;"><strong>Question: </strong>Do standup paddleboards qualify for a Vessel Safety Check (VSC)? And if so, what about thru a rental agency?</span></p> <p><span style="font-size: small;"> </span></p> <p style="margin-bottom: 12pt; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: small;"><em><strong>Answer:</strong> Yes, stand up paddlecraft qualify for a VSC. From the USCG, <span style="color: #000000;"><span style="background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% #f3f3f3;">"<span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Stand Up Paddleboards are required to carry the same safety equipment as all paddle craft per Federal Regulations."</span></span></span> <br /> <br /> When doing the VSC, make sure to use <a href="http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012A.pdf" target="_blank"><span style="color: blue;">Form 7012A</span></a>. </em></span></p> <p><span style="font-size: small;"><em> </em></span></p> <p style="margin-bottom: 12pt; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: small;"><em>Here is some reference material for doing a paddle craft VSC: <br /> <br /> <a href="http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&amp;category=paddle-craft" target="_blank"><span style="color: blue;">http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&amp;category=paddle-craft</span></a><br /> <br /> <a href="http://vdept.cgaux.org/workshops/Mod-4-Paddlecraft-VE-Workshop.ppt" target="_blank"><span style="color: blue;">vdept.cgaux.org/workshops/Mod-4-Paddlecraft-VE-Workshop.ppt</span></a></em></span></p> <p><span style="font-size: small;"><em> </em></span></p> <p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: small;"><em>As far as doing an inspection at a rental agency, as long as they have all the equipment required for the paddlecraft that should be fine.</em></span></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/09/06/do-standup-paddleboards-qualify-for-a-vessel-safety-check-vsc-and-if-so-what-about-thru-a-rental-agency">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/09/06/do-standup-paddleboards-qualify-for-a-vessel-safety-check-vsc-and-if-so-what-about-thru-a-rental-agency Do you need to do five VSC in the same year you are qualified as a VE? <p><strong>Question</strong>: After a member takes and passes the Vessel Examiner (VE) test and does their five required Vessel Safety Checks (VSCs) and becomes certified by the local DIRAUX as a VE, do they still have to complete an additional five VSC's for that year?</p> <p><strong><em>Answer</em></strong><em>: No. In the year you are qualified you do not need to do any further VSC.</em></p> <p><em>See <a href="http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg3/cg3pcx/publications/AUXMAN_annotated_022_12.pdf">AUXMAN, page 8-13</a>. It states:</em></p> <p><em>B.8.a.(1) Maintaining Certification To remain certified, RBS VEs must perform at least five VSCs (passing or failing) and/or Auxiliary surface facility inspections each year following initial qualification, including the year in which qualified.</em></p> <p><em>However, there is a correction for this regulation. From the same page in <strong>AUXMAN: Comment [CG-BSX-1:140]: To remain certified, RBS VEs must perform at least five VSCs (passing or failing) and/or Auxiliary surface facility inspections each year following initial qualification.</strong></em></p> <p><em><strong>Please note:</strong> To view and print <span>PDF</span> documents, you must use the <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/" target="_blank">Adobe Reader software</a>, which is available for download without charge.</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/04/do-you-need-to-do-five-vsc-in-the-same-year-you-are-qualified-as-a-ve">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/04/do-you-need-to-do-five-vsc-in-the-same-year-you-are-qualified-as-a-ve Do you need to have battery terminals covered and do you need a VDS to pass a VSC? <p><strong>Question</strong>: I recently became a VE and I have been inspecting as my FSO-VE tells me. I have argued two things with him. He requires both battery terminal to be covered. he also requires a VDS. We are on the Ohio river(inland-less than two miles wide). I have read the PPT and VE book. So my question is does the negative terminal have to be covered and do they have to have a flashlight?</p> <p><i><strong>Answer</strong>: From page 27 of the <a href="http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/cim_16796_8.pdf"> Vessel Safety Check (VSC) manual:</a></i></p> <p><i>Verify that battery cables are securely connected. The battery should be clamped down or otherwise secured so as to prevent movement. Battery terminals must be covered. Plastic battery boxes or other covers to protect the battery are recommended but not required. Installed battery chargers should be of marine type design. Batteries should be well ventilated while charging.</i></p> <p><i>For your Area of Operations (AOR) from the way you describe it, a VDS is not be required. It should be recommended, but it is not required to pass a VSC. Also, check to see if your FSO-VE is referring to a local or state law.</i></p> <p><i>From the 7012 form: STATE AND LOCAL REQUIREMENTS: These requirements must be met before the Vessel Safety Check decal can be awarded. A boat must meet the requirements of the state in which it is being examined. Here is a good article which mentions VDSs and the whole Coastal/Inland waters issue - <a href="http://vdept.cgaux.org/newsletters/fss10-03.pdf">http://vdept.cgaux.org/newsletters/fss10-03.pdf</a>.</i></p> <p><strong>Please note:</strong> To view and print PDF documents, you must use the <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/">Adobe Reader software</a>, which is available for download without charge.</p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/03/do-you-need-to-have-battery-terminals-covered-and-do-you-need-a-vds-to-pass-a-vsc">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/03/do-you-need-to-have-battery-terminals-covered-and-do-you-need-a-vds-to-pass-a-vsc If a vessel being checked has the capacity for high speeds must the life jackets be rated for high speed/impact? <p><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/admin.php?ctrl=items&amp;blog=17&amp;p=501">http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/admin.php?ctrl=items&amp;blog=17&amp;p=501</a></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: If a vessel being checked has the capacity for high speeds must the life jackets be rated for high speed/impact?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer</strong>: No. An impact rating is recommended, but it is not required for the passing of an inspection.</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/04/if-a-vessel-being-checked-has-the-capacity-for-high-speeds-must-the-life-jackets-be-rated-for-high-speed-impact">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/04/if-a-vessel-being-checked-has-the-capacity-for-high-speeds-must-the-life-jackets-be-rated-for-high-speed-impact When checking a fire extinguisher is there an age of manufacture requirement? <p><strong>Question</strong>: When checking a fire extinguisher is there an age of manufacture requirement?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer</strong>: Current guidance from the USCG Office of Boating Safety directs that the following items should be included in the annual maintenance of non-rechargeable portable extinguishers:</em></p> <p><em>1. Check that the pressure gauge or pressure indicator is in the operable range. <br />2. Verify there is no physical damage to the extinguisher or discharge hose (if provided).<br />3. Check for missing or broken safety seals or tamper indicators.<br />4. Examine the extinguisher for obvious signs of corrosion, leakage or clogged discharge nozzle.</em></p> <p><em>If any deficiencies are noted, the non-rechargeable extinguisher should be replaced.</em></p> <p><em>In addition, non-rechargeable fire extinguishers now come with a warning on the label that the fire extinguisher should be removed from service 12 years from the manufacture date which is marked on the extinguisher (date stamped on the bottom of the cylinder). Check the label and advise the boater that the manufacturers instructions should be followed if more than 12 years has elapsed. However, until the federal regulations are revised, this should be treated as a recommendation and not result in a failure during a VSC.&#160;</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/04/when-checking-a-fire-extinguisher-is-there-an-age-of-manufacture-requirement">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/04/when-checking-a-fire-extinguisher-is-there-an-age-of-manufacture-requirement Where is the site for VEs to sign up to get on the list of VEs by zip code? <p><strong>Question</strong>: Where is the site for Vessel Examiners (VE) to sign up to get on the list of VEs by zip code so they can do Vessel Safety Checks (VSC)?</p> <p><strong><em>Answer</em></strong>: There is nowhere to sign up, only to opt out. The <a title="&quot;I Want a VSC &quot; system" href="http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&amp;category=i-want-a-vsc">"I Want a VSC " system</a> uses your address you have listed in AUXDATA and when you become a VE in AUXDATA you are added automatically to the system,</p> <p>You cannot have two addresses listed. If you are living in an area other than the one you has listed (such a seasonal move) you has several options. You can change your address in AUXDATA to where you are currently living and change it back later. Or you could contact the nearest flotillas and tell them that you are available to do VSCs and to contact you if someone in their flotilla cannot do a VSC. Or you could go to a flotilla and ask to partake in any VSC events, or just do it the old fashion way and find boats to inspect in their area.</p> <p>It is advisable to contact the nearest flotilla when you are in a different state than his regular flotilla. While you can conduct a VSC anywhere in the country, it is always a nice courtesy to tell the nearest flotillas you are around. They might also provide you with a list of places where you can do many VSC, like a marina</p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-is-the-site-for-ves-to-sign-up-to-get-on-the-list-of-ves-by-zip-code">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-is-the-site-for-ves-to-sign-up-to-get-on-the-list-of-ves-by-zip-code Where do I find requirements for operation facility boats? <p><strong>Question:</strong> Where do I find requirements for operation facility boats?</p> <p><i><strong>Answer:</strong> You can view the <a href="http://vdept.cgaux.org/JobAidFiles/Facilities-Inspections.pdf">USCG Auxiliary Operational Facilities.pdf</a>, (PDF | requires <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/" target="_blank">Adobe Acrobat Reader</a>) or page 3 of the <a href="http://vdept.cgaux.org/JobAidFiles/VSC_Manual.pdf" target="_blank">Vessel Safety Check Manual</a>. Also, the <a href="http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/CIM_16798_3E.pdf" target="_blank">Auxiliary Operations Policy Manual</a> has information about all types of facilities.</i></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-do-i-find-requirements-for-operation-facility-boats">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-do-i-find-requirements-for-operation-facility-boats Which decal do I use for a paddle craft VSC? <p><strong>Question:</strong> We have many kayaks in the area. When inspected do they receive a VSC decal?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer:</strong> When doing a VSC on any paddle craft, use the same decal that you use for any VSC. Also, use<a href="http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012A.pdf"> Form 7012A</a>. </em><br /><em>(PDF | requires <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/" target="_self">Adobe Acrobat Reader</a>)</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/03/04/which-decal-do-i-use-for-a-paddle-craft-vsc">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/03/04/which-decal-do-i-use-for-a-paddle-craft-vsc