VDept Members Questions & Answers - Category: VSC Non-Safety http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php en-US http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss Do you need to do five VSC in the same year you are qualified as a VE? <p><strong>Question</strong>: After a member takes and passes the Vessel Examiner (VE) test and does their five required Vessel Safety Checks (VSCs) and becomes certified by the local DIRAUX as a VE, do they still have to complete an additional five VSC's for that year?</p> <p><strong><em>Answer</em></strong><em>: No. In the year you are qualified you do not need to do any further VSC.</em></p> <p><em>See <a href="http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg3/cg3pcx/publications/AUXMAN_annotated_022_12.pdf">AUXMAN, page 8-13</a>. It states:</em></p> <p><em>B.8.a.(1) Maintaining Certification To remain certified, RBS VEs must perform at least five VSCs (passing or failing) and/or Auxiliary surface facility inspections each year following initial qualification, including the year in which qualified.</em></p> <p><em>However, there is a correction for this regulation. From the same page in <strong>AUXMAN: Comment [CG-BSX-1:140]: To remain certified, RBS VEs must perform at least five VSCs (passing or failing) and/or Auxiliary surface facility inspections each year following initial qualification.</strong></em></p> <p><em><strong>Please note:</strong> To view and print <span>PDF</span> documents, you must use the <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/" target="_blank">Adobe Reader software</a>, which is available for download without charge.</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/04/do-you-need-to-do-five-vsc-in-the-same-year-you-are-qualified-as-a-ve">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/04/do-you-need-to-do-five-vsc-in-the-same-year-you-are-qualified-as-a-ve Do you need to have battery terminals covered and do you need a VDS to pass a VSC? <p><strong>Question</strong>: I recently became a VE and I have been inspecting as my FSO-VE tells me. I have argued two things with him. He requires both battery terminal to be covered. he also requires a VDS. We are on the Ohio river(inland-less than two miles wide). I have read the PPT and VE book. So my question is does the negative terminal have to be covered and do they have to have a flashlight?</p> <p><i><strong>Answer</strong>: From page 27 of the <a href="http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/cim_16796_8.pdf"> Vessel Safety Check (VSC) manual:</a></i></p> <p><i>Verify that battery cables are securely connected. The battery should be clamped down or otherwise secured so as to prevent movement. Battery terminals must be covered. Plastic battery boxes or other covers to protect the battery are recommended but not required. Installed battery chargers should be of marine type design. Batteries should be well ventilated while charging.</i></p> <p><i>For your Area of Operations (AOR) from the way you describe it, a VDS is not be required. It should be recommended, but it is not required to pass a VSC. Also, check to see if your FSO-VE is referring to a local or state law.</i></p> <p><i>From the 7012 form: STATE AND LOCAL REQUIREMENTS: These requirements must be met before the Vessel Safety Check decal can be awarded. A boat must meet the requirements of the state in which it is being examined. Here is a good article which mentions VDSs and the whole Coastal/Inland waters issue - <a href="http://vdept.cgaux.org/newsletters/fss10-03.pdf">http://vdept.cgaux.org/newsletters/fss10-03.pdf</a>.</i></p> <p><strong>Please note:</strong> To view and print PDF documents, you must use the <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/">Adobe Reader software</a>, which is available for download without charge.</p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/03/do-you-need-to-have-battery-terminals-covered-and-do-you-need-a-vds-to-pass-a-vsc">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/07/03/do-you-need-to-have-battery-terminals-covered-and-do-you-need-a-vds-to-pass-a-vsc Where is the site for VEs to sign up to get on the list of VEs by zip code? <p><strong>Question</strong>: Where is the site for Vessel Examiners (VE) to sign up to get on the list of VEs by zip code so they can do Vessel Safety Checks (VSC)?</p> <p><strong><em>Answer</em></strong>: There is nowhere to sign up, only to opt out. The <a title="&quot;I Want a VSC &quot; system" href="http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&amp;category=i-want-a-vsc">"I Want a VSC " system</a> uses your address you have listed in AUXDATA and when you become a VE in AUXDATA you are added automatically to the system,</p> <p>You cannot have two addresses listed. If you are living in an area other than the one you has listed (such a seasonal move) you has several options. You can change your address in AUXDATA to where you are currently living and change it back later. Or you could contact the nearest flotillas and tell them that you are available to do VSCs and to contact you if someone in their flotilla cannot do a VSC. Or you could go to a flotilla and ask to partake in any VSC events, or just do it the old fashion way and find boats to inspect in their area.</p> <p>It is advisable to contact the nearest flotilla when you are in a different state than his regular flotilla. While you can conduct a VSC anywhere in the country, it is always a nice courtesy to tell the nearest flotillas you are around. They might also provide you with a list of places where you can do many VSC, like a marina</p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-is-the-site-for-ves-to-sign-up-to-get-on-the-list-of-ves-by-zip-code">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-is-the-site-for-ves-to-sign-up-to-get-on-the-list-of-ves-by-zip-code Where do I find requirements for operation facility boats? <p><strong>Question:</strong> Where do I find requirements for operation facility boats?</p> <p><i><strong>Answer:</strong> You can view the <a href="http://vdept.cgaux.org/JobAidFiles/Facilities-Inspections.pdf">USCG Auxiliary Operational Facilities.pdf</a>, (PDF | requires <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/" target="_blank">Adobe Acrobat Reader</a>) or page 3 of the <a href="http://vdept.cgaux.org/JobAidFiles/VSC_Manual.pdf" target="_blank">Vessel Safety Check Manual</a>. Also, the <a href="http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/CIM_16798_3E.pdf" target="_blank">Auxiliary Operations Policy Manual</a> has information about all types of facilities.</i></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-do-i-find-requirements-for-operation-facility-boats">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/04/02/where-do-i-find-requirements-for-operation-facility-boats Sound Producing Device <p><strong>Question:</strong> The Vessel Safety Check Manual indicates vessels over 39.4 feet are required to a whistle or horn, and a bell. Has this requirement been recently changed?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer:</strong> There has been a change to the requirement for vessels to carry a bell. The bell requirements are clearly stated in "A Boater's Guide to the Federal Requirements for Recreational Boats" (page 26). That is, vessels less than 20 meters (65.6 feet) are no longer required to carry a bell. This change was made to International Rule 33(a) in 2004 and a regulatory change is forthcoming that will align the Inland Navigation Rules with the International Rule. In the interim, follow the guidance in the "Federal Requirements".</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/02/28/sound-producing-device">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/02/28/sound-producing-device Battery Requirements for Outboards <p><strong>Question:</strong> The question has come up several times regarding marine battery requirements as it applies to vessels equipped with outboard motors. How do the requirements of 33CFR183.420 (Batteries) apply?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer:</strong> Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters [33 CFR], Part 183 - Boats and Associated Equipment [33 CFR 183], Subpart 1 - Electrical Systems, &#194;&#167; 183.401 &#226;&#8364;&#8221; Purpose, Applicability, and Effective Dates indicates that "this subpart applies to all boats that have gasoline engines, except outboard engines, for electrical generation, mechanical power, or propulsion". Thus, &#194;&#167; 33CFR183.420 (Batteries) does not apply to boats equipped with outboard engines. However, it is important to note that VEs should recognize the safety issues relative to having batteries that are not secured or have inadequate protection to prevent shorting of terminals. Therefore, VEs should not award a decal if unsafe conditions exist, even on vessels powered by outboard engines.</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/02/28/battery-requirements-for-outboards">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/02/28/battery-requirements-for-outboards Propane Fuel <p><strong>Question:</strong> At several recent boat shows, vendors have been talking about propane outboard motors. Are these new fuel types within the scope of the Vessel Safety Check?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer:</strong> There have been no recent changes that would allow the use of propane as a fuel for an outboard engine. Propane brings additional problems as an alternative fuel including being under pressure and also being heavier than air. Special engineering would be required for the storage of the fuel, which would require a drain and storage above the waterline. This is not a something that would be covered in a VSC and should not be awarded a decal.</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/02/28/propane-fuel">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2013/02/28/propane-fuel Where can I find the form for a paddleboat and a personal watercraft (PWC) inspection? <p><strong>Question:</strong><strong> </strong> Where can I find the form for a paddleboat and a personal watercraft (PWC) inspection?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer: </strong>You can find the forms you need here: <a href="http://forms.cgaux.org/forms.php" target="_blank">http://forms.cgaux.org/forms.php</a></em></p> <div> <p><em>ANSC 7012 - Vessel Safety Check (used for standard boat and PWC inspections)</em></p> <p><em>ANSC 7012A - Paddle Craft Vessel Safety Check</em></p> <p><em>Also, you can check with your flotilla's materials officer (FSO-MA) for forms.</em></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><em>For more information about PWC inspections, please refer to the <a title="Vessel Safety Check (VSC) manual" href="http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/CIM_16796_8.pdf">Vessel Safety Check (VSC) manual</a>. (PDF | requires <a href="http://get.adobe.com/reader/" target="_self">Adobe Acrobat Reader</a>)</em></p> <p><em> </em></p> </div><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2012/10/08/where-can-i-find-the-form-for-a-paddleboat-and-a-personal-watercraft-pwc-inspection">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2012/10/08/where-can-i-find-the-form-for-a-paddleboat-and-a-personal-watercraft-pwc-inspection Where Is The Information On How To Become a VE? <p><b>Question:</b> Where in the new website format is the part for members who want to become VE's/PV's? In the old format a member could go to that link &amp; get detail information on the how to become a VE/PV including hyperlinks to the VE manual &amp; other study material. I looked through the new site, including the Job Aid Kits, &amp; can not find this information.</p> <p><i><b>Answer:</b> The old How to Become a VE page is the new "Job Aid Kits" page. I'm guessing you glossed over the page and didn't really check it out as all of the old text and links are still there.</i></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2012/09/08/where-is-the-information-on-how-to-become-a-ve">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2012/09/08/where-is-the-information-on-how-to-become-a-ve Fire Extinguisher Mounting Brackets <p><strong>Question:</strong> Does the mounting bracket need to be attached to the fire extinguisher for the vessel to pass the VSC?</p> <p><em><strong>Answer:</strong> As a VE, you know fire extinguishers are a required item under DECAL REQUIREMENTS. Mounting is under DISCUSSION ITEMS, therefore not required for a decal but is your job is to educate the importance of a mounted extinguisher, one that is always ready at a known location and cannot roll around and break and become faulty.</em></p><div class="item_footer"><p><small><a href="http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2012/08/03/fire-extinguisher-mounting-brackets">Original post</a> blogged on <a href="http://b2evolution.net/">b2evolution</a>.</small></p></div> http://blogs-it.cgaux.org/mqa.php/2012/08/03/fire-extinguisher-mounting-brackets